3 BEST WAYS TO CELEBRATE SELF CARE AWARENESS MONTH
As summer comes to an end, it's the perfect time to reflect, slow down and reset before we head into the busy holiday season. These next couple of months tend to be the busiest between back-to-school, sports, holiday events, shopping, and more! That's why it is so important to prioritize self-care this season.
Self-care doesn't need to be selfish. When we care for our physical and mental health, we can be our best selves for those around us. Since September is National Self-Care awareness month, here are three ways to take care of yourself this month and in the coming months.
1. Physical Health
The first step to prioritizing self-care is taking care of your physical health by eating nutritious foods, exercising, and getting enough sleep. Here are a few ideas:
- Replace any processed foods with whole, nutrient-rich foods.
- Read one of Amazon's Bestselling Nutrition Books.
- Try a 21-30 day challenge like Whole30.
- Establish healthy habits by reading books like Atomic Habits.
- Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Take a walk around your neighborhood, try yoga on the beach, or join a fitness class.
- Get outdoors. Sometimes all we need is a little vitamin D.
2. Mental Health
Our mental health tends to improve naturally when we take care of our physical health. Here are a few ways to prioritize your mental health this month:
- Rest. Budget time in your schedule for rest. Enjoy your favorite TV show, drink tea, read a book, light a Signature Luxury Candle, or take a bubble bath.
- Pick up a new hobby. Sometimes when we are in a rut, we need to get out of our normal routine and try something new. Some ideas include painting, gardening, and rollerblading.
- Journal. One of the best ways to self-reflect is by writing down your thoughts and feelings to understand them more clearly.
- Invest in yourself. If you don't usually treat yourself, buy new leggings, flowers, makeup, or skincare. You can also invest in yourself through higher education, courses, counseling, and more.
According to verywellhealth.com, "Good social relationships are also tied to better overall health, and studies have found that having a good network of friends can significantly improve a person's physical and mental health." Here are a few ways to prioritize your relationships this month:
- Plan a girl's night to watch a movie, or TV show, play board games, and more.
- Set aside time throughout your week to call a friend or get coffee.
- Make new connections by joining a fitness class, attending a networking event, or volunteering in your community.
- Plan a trip or vacation to visit friends and family.
We hope these ideas above inspired you for Self Care Awareness Month. If you end up trying one of the activities above, be sure to let us know by tagging us on social media @yummyandtrendy using #selfcareawarenessmonth for a chance to be featured on our page.
Spencer, Melanie Warner. “5 Ways to Celebrate Self-Care Awareness Month.” New Orleans Magazine, 2 Sept. 2022, https://www.myneworleans.com/5-ways-to-celebrate-self-care-awareness-month/.
Bottaro, Angelica. “Self-Care Is a Trendy Buzzword, but What Exactly Is Self-Care?” Verywell Health, https://www.verywellhealth.com/self-care-definition-and-examples-5212781.